Your oral appliance therapy system is made up of two "splints:" one for your upper jaw and one for your lower jaw, plus two "connecting rods" that connect these splints together. Take a look at your therapy system to see if you can identify all the parts.
How therapy works
When in place with the connecting rods attached, Narval CC simply holds your lower jaw in a forward position to expand the space behind your tongue and help prevent obstruction (or "apnea") and snoring.
Setting yourself up for success
Knowing what to do (and what not to do) when setting up your equipment can make all the difference to your treatment. Your sleep dentist and hygienist team will ensure that your device is at the right setting for the start and through the duration of your treatment. Your therapy will likely include one or more titration adjustments, where the dentist changes your connecting rods to advance your jaw forward to attain optimal positioning for your treatment. During this adjustment time it is normal to experience some hyper salivation or dry mouth as well as minor tooth pain upon awakening. If any side effects persist, seek advice from your dental clinician.
Caring for your appliance
Your Narval CC is made of a biocompatible material to ensure your comfort and effective treatment. In order to maintain the lifetime of your appliance, the following daily cleaning regimen is recommended. After each time you use the device, it is recommended that you:
- Remove the device from your mouth and rinse in lukewarm water.
- Clean the device with a soft clean toothbrush (not the same toothbrush you use to brush your teeth as toothpaste can damage the appliance) making sure to brush the inside surface of the splints.
- Rinse well with lukewarm water.
- Dry your Narval CC after each cleaning with a clean tissue or towel and place it back in the storage box.
Twice a week, you should clean your Narval CC more thoroughly using the sonic cleaner and an effervescent antibacterial tablet designed for orthodontic appliances. To clean using your sonic cleaner:
- Fill the tub halfway with warm water.
- Place the tablet and the device in the water ensuring that it is completely submerged.
- Switch the cleaner to the on-position and leave for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the sonic cleaner and remove device from the solution.
- Rinse both the device and the tub well with warm water.
- Dry your Narval CC with a clean tissue or towel and place it back in the storage box.
Note: Over time, the splints might change color depending on several parameters such as the acidity of your saliva and how well you take care of your device; it will not affect the efficacy of your device. Take care to avoid drinking colored liquids while wearing your device. Be sure to brush your teeth before inserting your device at each use.
- Never use chlorine based products, bleach or acetic acid.
- Never put the device in water warmer than 45°C / 113 °F.
- Never use toothpaste or mouthwash to clean your device, as they may be too abrasive.
- Do not leave your device outside of the box within reach of pets or children.