The main goals of treatment for OHS patients are as follows:
- Normalise arterial carbon dioxide tension (PaCO2 45 mm Hg)
- Prevent hypoxemia during sleep and wakefulness
- Prevent erythrocytosis, pulmonary hypertension, and respiratory failure
- Relieve hypersomnia and altered mentation
Treatment with NIV helps to achieve these goals, and has been widely observed to be the ideal treatment for OHS. 1
The following ResMed devices are designed to treat obesity hypoventilation syndrome:
- S9™ VPAP™ ST-A: Designed for both hospital and home, S9 VPAP ST-A with iVAPS (intelligent Volume-Assured Pressure Support) provides noninvasive ventilation support to patients with respiratory insufficiency, such as Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome. Compared to standard pressure support therapy, iVAPS can compensate for changes in respiratory mechanics, such as during nocturnal position changes.
- Stellar™ series: Stellar offers higher pressure capabilities (up to 40 cm H2O), with both invasive and non-invasive applications. Light, small and quiet, Stellar combines unique technology, like ResMed’s iVAPS automated pressure support algorithm with optimal set up capabilities like pathology defaults and real-time monitoring.