CPAP supply program: It's smart business
CPAP supply programs help you deliver more services to your patients, provide optimum comfort and drive higher compliance, all while growing your revenue. With a CPAP supply program, patients can enjoy optimum therapy, the comfort of regularly replacing their supplies and the ease of doing business with you.
CPAP supply program best practices
The key to a successful CPAP supply program is ongoing patient education and communication. Keep these best practices in mind when setting up your CPAP supply program and as you move forward:
Set expectations at new patient setup. The best opportunity to set expectations is at the initial setup, where you can educate your newest patients on the importance of replacing supplies and increase chances for successful compliance.
Educate your patients. Take the time to talk to your patients about how replacing supplies improves the comfort and effectiveness of their therapy. Let them know manufacturers recommend regular replacement of their mask and accessories, and remind them of their insurance coverage and eligibility. To obtain the most recent Medicare replacement guideline, visit www.resmed.com/reimbursement.
Set expectations. Let patients know when you’ll follow up with them and how often—even suggest they mark their calendars. Setting their expectations at setup is critical to the long-term success of your program.
The CPAP supply program cycle
These three components are critical to any successful CPAP supply program and can assist in every stage of a patient’s therapy cycle.
Efficient organization and management of patient records is a critical step to building a successful program. Maintain comprehensive profiles on each patient including contact information, original prescription information, when and how to contact them, a complete order history and insurance coverage/eligibility.
- Patient profile and insurance information should be verified and updated at every patient touch-point.
- Ask each patient when and how they prefer to be contacted.
- Reports should be readily available and easily generated so you know which patients are eligible for supplies.
- Maintain a master list of your insurance providers’ reimbursement schedules.
Different patients have different needs so it’s helpful to include multiple ways to contact them – from email and direct mail, to assigning staff for dedicated phone support. Be sure to ask each patient what days and times they prefer to be contacted to get the best results*.
- Dedicated resources should be assigned to this important task.
- Calls should revolve around the patient’s schedule, which is usually different than normal business hours.
- Verify patient insurance coverage and eligibility for efficient order processing and payment; electronic verification offers the highest return.
- Call logs (outbound logs at the very least) should be maintained.
Order fulfillment is an important part of patient satisfaction and can be the biggest burden on profitability. Consider using drop-ship programs, which improve operational efficiencies and reduce costs by offering hassle-free fulfillment.
- Minimize double data entry through electronic data interchange.
- Maximize your shipments by aggregating your supplies into as few shipments as possible.
- Minimize your inventory. Consider stocking and shipping mask components vs. also stocking complete mask systems.
- Order only what you need, as you need it. Consider just-in-time (JIT) inventory systems.
ResMed can help
How do you reach patients that are established on CPAP and are due for supply replacement? ResMed can help identify ways to get these patients back into a replacement cycle and start generating even more revenue for your business.
Contact us if you have questions or want more information about starting a replenishment program.