How to fit your mask
Properly fitting your mask is an essential step toward comfortable therapy. ResMed answers your most frequently asked mask fitting questions below.
Q. What's the correct way to fit a mask?
A. Fitting a mask properly depends a great deal on your position. Facial muscles change when we lie down and relax even further once we’re asleep, so it’s always best to fit the mask while you’re in your sleeping position. Whether you sleep in a bed with no pillows or in a recliner, you should fit your mask in your usual sleeping position. If you experience difficulties in fitting your mask, please refer to your mask user guide for complete fitting instructions or discuss it with your care provider or equipment supplier.
Q. How can I keep my mask on at night? I often remove it while I’m sleeping without realizing it.
A. As each individual adapts to their therapy differently, there may be various contributing factors requiring a personalized approach. You should discuss this with your medical equipment provider or physician.
Q. Do I have the right mask size? I have to strap it so tight to obtain a seal that it hurts.
A. It’s important not to over-tighten your mask. Doing so may be a sign that you have the wrong cushion size or an incorrectly adjusted forehead support. If you’re using a ResMed mask that has a MicroFit dial, it’s important to note that your clinician has set the dial at the optimal position and adjusting it significantly from that position may cause discomfort. If you experience difficulties in fitting you mask, please refer to your mask user guide for complete fitting instructions or discuss this with your medical equipment provider or physician.
Q. My mask is leaking. What does this mean?
Refer to the troubleshooting section in your mask user guide. Mask leak may indicate one of several things, including:
- incorrect adjustment
- incorrect assembly
- incorrect size
- your mask is worn out and needs replacement
Contact your doctor or equipment supplier to determine which of the above factors is interfering with the proper fitting of your mask.
Q. Where can I find mask fitting guidelines?
A. ResMed is happy to offer fitting templates for many of our masks. Click your mask below to open a PDF file of the fitting template.
Please note the following when using these templates:
- Read the directions on the template carefully before cutting and using them.
- The fitting template for the Ultra Mirage™ full face mask is three-dimensional and not available online. Please contact ResMed Customer Service (800-424-0737) to request a fitting template.
- Mask fitting templates should be used to aid in the fitting of masks. The use of these templates is not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional, sleep technician or equipment supplier.
- Altering the size or dimensions of the original PDFs in any way may compromise the quality and accuracy of these template printouts. To avoid this problem, ensure you are printing at the actual size by turning off all page scaling in your printer settings. You may also refer to the ruler within the printout to ensure the printout is the accurate size.
ResMed nasal mask fitting templates:
- AirFit N10/Swift FX Nano (90kb)
- Mirage Activa/Ultra Mirage II (45kb)
- Mirage FX (988kb)
- Mirage Micro/Mirage Activa LT (41kb)
- Mirage Vista (139kb)
ResMed full face mask fitting templates:
Do you have a question about fitting your mask that isn’t addressed here? Contact ResMed customer support at 1 (800) 424-0737, or click here to submit an online inquiry.