NIV has been shown to improve daytime arterial blood gases and the symptoms associated with respiratory failure for NMD patients.
o Less feeling of weakness
o Improved swallowing
o Reduced dyspnea
o Less feeling of fatigue and sleepiness
o Fewer morning headaches
o Better concentration
o Improvement in mood.
- In Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) patients, NIV improves quality of life and sleep-related symptoms.
- In patients without severe bulbar dysfunction,4 NIV prolongs survival by 7 months.
- In Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) patients:
- A retrospective review of 100 consecutive patients born between 1970 and 1990 found that NIV improved survival. Spinal surgery did not increase forced vital capacity, but in combination with nocturnal ventilation, further improved median survival.5
- Significant reduction in hospital in-patient days.6