Caring for your Narval CC oral appliance
Your Narval CCTM oral appliance therapy system is made up of two custom-made splints – one for your upper jaw and one for your lower jaw – and two connecting rods that hold the splints together.
To keep your oral appliance in optimal condition, we recommend that you clean it as follows:
After each time you use the device
- Immerse in lukewarm drinking quality water (e.g. in a clean glass or container).
- Clean the Narval appliance with a denture brush, making sure to brush the inside surface of the Narval appliance for at least 1 minute. A denture brush typically offers two different brush heads. The smaller brush with angled bristles allows for cleaning the inner surfaces of the Narval appliance, while the larger brush allows for cleaning the outer surfaces.
- Rinse well with clean, lukewarm drinking quality water.
- Carefully inspect the Narval appliance to confirm it is visibly clean (e.g. no visible particles remaining on the device). If necessary, clean the device again, repeating steps 1 through 4.
- Once clean, dry the Narval appliance with a clean tissue or towel and place it back in its storage box.
Twice a week
Clean your Narval appliance more thoroughly, using an antibacterial denture cleanser designed for orthodontic appliances:
- Read the instructions of the antibacterial denture cleanser carefully before use.
- Clean your Narval appliance following the instructions provided by the cleanser manufacturer.
- Rinse the Narval appliance well with clean, drinking quality water.
- Dry the Narval appliance with a clean tissue or towel and place it back in its storage box.
Over time the splints of your Narval appliance might change colour. This may be due to the acidity of your saliva and how well you take care of your Narval appliance. This will not affect its performance.
- Do not put the Narval appliance in water warmer than 45°C/113°F.
- Do not use toothpaste or mouthwash to clean your Narval appliance, as they may be too abrasive.
- Do not use chlorine based products, bleach, acetic acid, household cleaning products or alcoholic solutions to clean your Narval appliance.
- Before choosing an antibacterial denture cleanser, you should verify that you are not allergic to any of its ingredients and should always follow the instructions provided with it.
Please read the full instructions for use supplied with your oral appliance.