Women and sleep apnoea
Did you know that approximately 15 million American women have sleep apnoea?1-2 Sleep apnoea can affect women at any age, with or without any other contributing conditions. Sleep apnoea is often associated with serious conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, heart failure and stroke.3 However, effective treatment can help reduce the risk of chronic diseases and other comorbidities.
Women and sleep apnoea facts
- Almost 40% of newly diagnosed sleep apnoea patients are women4
- The risk of sleep apnoea in women after menopause is equal to that of men5
- Snoring during pregnancy may be an indication of developing sleep apnoea6
- Insomnia and morning headaches are often the main indicators of sleep apnoea in women7-8
- Women who snore are about twice as likely to have high blood pressure9
- Sleep apnoea is related to a higher risk of depression and cognitive impairment or dementia in women10-11
ResMed understands that women have unique needs when it comes to sleep apnoea therapy. As the first company to design a mask for female patients, we are proud to offer the first integrated therapy system for women, delivering even more choices for comfortable, customised sleep therapy.
Customised fit range. Flexible headgear, minimal frame width and smaller sizes accommodate women’s unique sizing needs.
Stylish masks and headgear. Whether patients prefer to wear their hair short or long, under or over the backstrap, our women’s masks offer a choice of design and stylish color to complement her style.
Cushioning soft wraps. For added softness at the cheeks, cushioning soft wraps are gentle on the skin to reduce facial pressure and marks.
* Extrapolated from 2010 Census data.