Detecting a child's tidal volume and/or respiratory effort requires sensitive algorithms and technology. ResMed has engineered respiratory support devices that offer advanced inspiratory trigger sensitivity, thereby improving synchrony and respiratory support for the child.
- ResMed ventilators offer adjustable trigger sensitivities, allowing clinicians to choose a high or very high sensitivity to make triggering easier.
- The Stellar™, Elisée™ and Astral™ Series of ventilators allow oxygen to be connected directly to the ventilator, reducing the likelihood of compromised triggering.
To achieve adequate minute ventilation and/or patient synchrony, some children require an elevated respiratory rate.
- Astral devices can deliver a back-up breathing rate of up to 80 bpm and support spontaneous breathing rates above this level, whereas the Stellar devices offer an adjustable back-up breath rate of up to 60 bpm.
Unintentional leaks are inevitable, especially for paediatric patients who move frequently, or who don’t yet understand the need to keep the mask on.
- ResMed ventilators include the V-Sync algorithm that compensates for any unintentional leak that may occur. ResMed ventilators also allow clinicians to define a maximum time of inspiration to ensure that each breath terminates and cycles back into expiration, even in the presence of a large leak.
NIV can be used to treat various respiratory conditions.
- Astral is indicated for patients above 5Kg weight and with tidal volumes >50ml. Stellar is approved for paediatric patients (>13Kg) in the hospital and the home.
- Astral series and the Stellar series offer a comprehensive menu of alarm options, as well as integrated oximetry, making them ideal for paediatric use.
- Astral and Stellar allow oxygen to be fed into the back of the device (up to 30L/min) for more efficient mixing during therapy. ClimateLineAir Oxy™, can take a maximum flow of 15L/min.
For paediatric patients, it's important to ensure that the bilevel has appropriate alarms.
- Most ResMed ventilators include alarms such as power failure or device failure.
- Stellar, Elisée and Astral™ offer a comprehensive menu of alarm options.
Paediatric patients may be prescribed an oximeter.
- Stellar ventilators offer an integrated oximeter with alarms. The integrated oximeter improves caregiver efficiency.
It is important for families of children on NIV to participate in normal activities and excursions that promote bonding and quality of life.
- Astral and Stellar ventilators are equipped with an internal battery for extra mobility.
- Additionally, many ResMed ventilators can accommodate external batteries which can provide additional device autonomy.