Cleaning sleep apnoea accessories
Your patient’s sleep apnoea treatment journey requires constant maintenance. Learn how patients should clean their accessories for optimal therapy.
Do you have instructions for patients for cleaning accessories?
Yes, we recommend that patients do the following:
- Disconnect the air tubing and hang it in a clean, dry place until next use.
- Wash the disassembled tub lid, plate and base in warm water using a mild detergent.
- Rinse thoroughly in clean water and allow them to dry away from direct sunlight.
Note: The disassembled tub lid, plate and base may also be washed in a dishwasher on the delicate or glassware cycle (top shelf only).
- Wipe the exterior of the therapy device and humidifier with a damp cloth and mild detergent.
- Peel the flip lid seal from the flip lid and wash it in warm water using a mild detergent.
- Check the air filter for holes and blockage by dirt or dust. Replace the air filter if necessary.
How often should the tubing be replaced?
We recommend replacing the air tubing every six months (or more often if necessary).
How shall we disinfect tubing if used in multipatient environments?
ResMed has recommended and validated procedures for cleaning and disinfection of the air tubing when it is for multipatient use in a sleep lab, clinic or hospital. Please refer to our ResMed clinical guide on air tubing disinfection for more information. However, the steps for disinfection vary regionally. As a result, each healthcare facility should consult its own procedures before carrying out those within this guide.