Ventilation: innovation and technology
At ResMed, our mission is to improve the quality of your patient’s life.
Providing your patient’s with effective treatment is important to us; but we also value their comfort during therapy. Our focus on continuous innovation allows us to push the boundaries to give you smaller, quieter and more comfortable ventilators that respond to your patients’ individual needs.
Learn more about all the different technologies that feature in various ventilators across our range.
Triggering technologies for more comfort:
Sensitive trigger and cycle technology
To achieve patient-ventilator synchronisation, you can customise the beginning and end of each inspiration with ResMed's trigger and cycle technology.
- Recognising that each patient is different, ResMed provides five levels of trigger and cycle sensitivity to help you tailor and fine-tune triggering and cycling values to different respiratory conditions and patient needs.
- The trigger sensitivity determines how easy or difficult it is for your patient to initiate a breath. The cycle sensitivity determines exactly when your patient starts to expire. The technology can be customised to each patient's unique respiratory needs so that patient-ventilator synchrony is maintained and work of breathing is reduced.
- The more sensitive trigger and cycle settings ('High' and 'Very High') provide flexibility for high resistance which is especially suited to paediatrics and those patients with obstructive lung diseases.
- Less sensitive settings ('Low' and 'Very Low') provide flexibility if your patient is prone to auto-triggering, caused by restrictive lung diseases and cardiogenic artefact.
- Trigger and cycle sensitivities work with a technology called Vsync to accurately measure unintentional leak. Together, these technologies provide optimal synchronisation.
- To further enhance the existing trigger settings our ventilators also feature ResMed’s NIV+ trigger sensitivity which helps to compensate for leak and improves sensitivity.
Intelligent technology to match your breathing needs:
iVAPS (intelligent Volume-Assured Pressure Support) with an iBR (intelligent Back-up Rate)
Exclusive to ResMed, iVAPS is a volume assured therapy mode that targets alveolar ventilation by automatically adjusting pressure support. Easy to set up, iVAPS with iBR helps to accommodate changes in your patient’s respiratory rate to consistently meet the required ventilation target.
- Combining the comfort and synchrony of pressure support with the assurance of target volume iVAPS maintains appropriate alveolar ventilation even when the patients’ respiratory needs change such as during different stages of sleep.
- Responding to your changing needs, iVAPS provides rapid, yet gentle automatic pressure support that is maintained yet smooth to avoid sleep disruption.
- Using the Learn Targets feature, iVAPS assess each individual patient's spontaneous respiratory rate and uses this rate as an input for the iBR helping to minimise the disruption in blood gasses.
- If there are pauses in your patient's breathing (for instance if they cough or sigh), the iBR technology uses the data learned to determine whether to deliver ventilation. This helps to ensure that your patients will not be over-ventilated, and helps to encourage spontaneous breathing.
- The Learn Targets feature runs automatically determining each patient's iBR while ventilating. No manual set up is required, helping you to save time and providing more confidence that your patient is receiving ventilation that suits their particular respiratory needs.