The Beaulieu family story showcases how a neuromuscular disease affects the health of two brothers and how ResMed’s Astral™ life support ventilators are an essential part of their daily routine.
Neuromuscular disease (NMD) is the name given to a range of diseases and conditions that affect your muscles. This may be due to weakening of the muscles themselves, or the nerves controlling your muscles.
Symptoms of respiratory failure in NMD patients include:
- Difficulty swallowing and breathing
- Fatigue, weakness and sleepiness
- Morning headaches
- Difficulties with concentration
- Mood changes
Some people with NMD may:
- Require a wheelchair
- Have difficulty swallowing
- Have weak respiratory muscles (muscles that help you breathe)
- Require ventilation